Simply delicious and nutritious! Broccoli is a superstar, one of the most nutritious vegetables that’s packed with numerous vitamins and minerals, fiber, and sulforaphane to help fight cancer, build strong bones and lower cholesterol. This versatile vegetable can be eaten raw, roasted, steamed, and enjoyed with other veggies. It’s delicious in soups, and a beautiful addition to any meal.
Do not waste the stems/stalks. Eat them too!
According to a recent study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Americans waste up to 40% of their food. On a global level, about one-third of food ends up in landfills. Food waste is an ugly part of the “throwaway” American culture.
The broccoli stem (or stalk), is often wasted and thought to be a superfluous part of the broccoli with little flavor or nutritional value. But according to HealthyEating.org, broccoli stalks contain the same nutrients as the broccoli flower: vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, potassium and folate. The stalk contains sulforaphane, a sulfur-containing compound studied for its anti-cancer properties. It also contains vitamins B1, B2, iron, magnesium, zinc, and potassium.
Broccoli done up fine: (or, cooked up fine, if you don’t want to sound too back-woodsy)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
- organic Parmesan cheese or Vegan cheese
- 8 cups broccoli spears
- 5 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1-2 Tbls. lemon juice or organic balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tsp of Italian herbs – or, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into spear-like trees.
- Steam broccoli for 5–6 minutes, depending on your preference for tenderness.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Italian herbs, and optional salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1–2 tablespoons of Parmesan or vegan cheese on top of each serving, and serve hot.
Option: You can also roast the broccoli instead of steaming it. Simply put broccoli spears in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and toss with garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Italian herbs, and salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. During the last few minutes, turn the oven down to 325 degrees, sprinkle on the Parmesan or vegan cheese, and roast until golden.
Here is a yummy vegan recipe for parmesan cheese.
Vegan Nut Free Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Options: Instead of hemp and sunflower seeds, you can substitute walnuts, almonds or cashews.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until evenly dispersed. (It will have a mealy texture.) For a finer blend, use a food processor or blender. Be careful not to over-blend or it will be like butter. Taste, and add more salt or seasoning for a more intense flavor. That’s it!
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think of the recipe
Big Love & Aloha